As of Monday, May 2, 2022 at 12:01 AM, The Minnesota Department of Transportation ended our dreaded spring load restrictions (SLR) in the SOUTHEAST and METRO frost zones. This is welcome news to everyone trying to find efficient routes to haul heavy loads, or even take delivery of rental units. In the metro area, there are only a couple roads with restrictions still in effect…Hwy 19 near Le Seur, MN and a stretch of I35E in Ramsey County.
- Spring load restrictions will end in the SOUTH frost zone Friday, May 6, 2022 at 12:01 AM.
- Spring load restrictions will end in the CENTRAL frost zone Friday, May 13, 2022 at 12:01 AM.
- Spring load restrictions will end in the NORTH-CENTRAL and NORTH frost zones Monday, May 16, 2022 at 12:01 AM.
Please check with local agencies prior to increasing any weights on their routes. The sign erected on the roadway governs the load limit in effect.
Frost zones and restricted routes can be found on the MnDOT load limits map. You can download the official maps here.
Start and end dates and other load limit information are shown at mndot.gov/loadlimits.
Overweight permits for more than 80,000 pound gross vehicle weight continue during spring load restrictions and new permits will be issued if all axle and group weights are legal (axle weight limits).
- Full-summer overweight permits can be issued, during the spring load restriction period, for travel on the interstate system only.
- Middle-range overweight permits become available within each frost zone when spring load restrictions are lifted. Full-summer overweight permits become available two to three weeks after spring load restrictions are lifted.
- Ending dates for spring load restrictions are variable and based on how weather is affecting roadway strength.
For questions about legal axle weight during SLR; Gross Vehicle Weight Schedule, call: Minnesota Department of Public Safety State Patrol – Commercial Vehicle Enforcement 651-350-2000.